Have you accidentally deleted one or more iMessages? Do not panic, it is still possible to recover them! Whether using iTunes, iCloud or a third-party app, your text messages can be restored to your iPhone quickly. In this article, we explain how to do it.
1. Recover Deleted Messages on iPhone with PhoneRescue
The PhoneRescue solution helps restore mistakenly deleted data including text messages on your iPhone. Its use has several advantages such as:
- the recovery of a large number of data (SMS, MMS, iMessages, photos, videos, etc.)
- the ability to restore data from a computer or to your iPhone directly
- compatibility with all iPhone, iPad and iPod touch models
- preview of deleted messages before restoration
- the ability to recover text messages on iPhone without backup first or via iCloud or iTunes backup.
To recover deleted text messages from your iPhone without backup, here is the procedure to follow with PhoneRescue:
1. Start by downloading and installing PhoneRescue on your computer.
2. Launch the application and meanwhile, connect your iPhone, via a USB cable, to your PC.
3. When your iPhone is detected, select “Recover from iOS Device” and click “Next”. (You can also recover your iMessages from backup and from iCloud).
4. Next, select “Messages” and click “OK”.
5. View deleted SMS and select the ones you want to restore.
6. Then, choose, via the icons at the bottom right, if you want to recover your messages on your computer or on your iPhone.
The restoration of your messages is complete!
2. Recover Deleted Messages on iPhone without Computer
To restore your iPhone SMS without a computer , you can use your iCloud space. However, this method has some drawbacks such as the risk of data loss. Indeed, the last backup does not always contain the latest data from your iPhone and the free storage space is limited to 5GB (unless you have subscribed to a subscription for additional storage).
- Begin by resetting your iPhone. To do this, go to “Settings”, “General”, “Reset”, “Erase content and settings”, then enter the security code of your iPhone.
- When the reset is complete, start your iPhone. When the “Apps & Data” screen appears, choose the “Restore from iCloud” option.
- Enter your account ID and password and wait for the restore to complete.
3. Recover Deleted Messages on iPhone from iTunes Backup
It is possible to recover your deleted text messages from an iTunes backup . Please note that this method may delete data currently on your iPhone that is not backed up.
1. Connect your iPhone to computer via USB cable.
2. Open iTunes and click on your phone icon.
3. Next, go to the “Settings” section, then, “Summary” and click on “Restore backup copy”.
4. Select the most recently made backup of your iPhone and click “Restore”.
Wait until the transfer is complete.
4. Recover Deleted Messages on iPhone from iCloud Backup
As an alternative to iTunes backup, there is also a way to recover your deleted text messages through an iCloud backup (if the message sync feature is active on your iCloud account).
1. Go to “Settings”, then tap your account name and select “iCloud”.
2. Disable “Messages” synchronization (i.e. slide the button to the left, the green color should normally disappear).
3. Select “Keep on my iPhone”.
4. Finally, re-enable “Messages” (by sliding the button to the right to get green color), tap on “Merge”.
5. Your messages have been successfully retrieved!
We have just seen the different possible methods to recover your deleted messages on your iPhone .
Whether it’s from an existing backup (from iCloud or iTunes) or a solution like PhoneRescue, we hope you manage to recover the message(s) deleted by mistake.