Plunging necklines are not in the “preppy” style. Find out what other things you should avoid and, above all, which ones you do have to add.
Pastel colors, loafers, skirts and plaid pants are back! It’s the preppy style . This classic but daring look is adding similarities to the point of establishing itself as a trend in current fashion. Despite the fact that its origin comes from North American high schools, its return is marked by the influence of Japanese culture.
Do you like to try new styles? You cannot miss this opportunity.
The preppy is characterized by being sporty , informal and at the same time sexy , typical of the student elite of the 70s and 80s. But be careful! Some general notions must be clear when combining.
How to look “preppy” without dying trying?
We know that the preppy style allows for impossible combinations . But without a doubt, you should get a key outfit and, on the other hand, there are other clothes that you should leave stored in the closet because they don’t go.
Tips to create a preppy style in women
When creating a preppy outfit , you should mix various garments, but be guided by well-defined lines. For example, the necklines are out of place.
- Stripes are the order of the day and you can include them in blouses, tights, dresses, shorts , polo shirts and sweaters.
- Do you like the print ? Try shades of red, blue, and white.
- Square-heeled loafers are the key footwear in this look . However, striped sandals and esparto sandals are acceptable.
- Skirts are a resounding yes . If the preppy style is characterized by something , it is for its beautiful and showy pleated, striped, checkered, monochromatic or combination skirts. Try to make them long, but not below the knees.
- Wear laced shirts or blouses. They are feminine and elegant.
- Looking to add a layer to your preppy outfit ? Try a matching pullover , to which you can add a beautiful blazer with gold buttons. Do not forget to incorporate into the design the pictures or models in the style of raincoats, with cuffs and lapels of geometric shapes.
The not so short skirts with grid designs are ideal for the style.
Tips to get the best preppy style in men
The preppy trend gives men a great look . If you want to achieve it, these fashion tips will help you.
- A great touch is to wear a long striped shirt that has a badge, simulating a college shield .
- It’s time for V-neck sweaters, preferably in a pastel color , which you can combine with a beautiful tie and a light-colored shirt. Typical American college uniform.
- Shorts are back and boy do they stand out. Choose one with a checkered pattern, preferably beige . Can you imagine yourself in it?
- Wait! The shoes. We cannot forget about this important garment. Some monkstrap will give you the style you are looking for. You can also try brogues or, if you prefer a less formal style, boat shoes .
Men should look like 1980s college kids to get the look.
Careful! Do not confuse the “preppy” style with others
The preppy style confers a youthful and contemporary air . There are many garments that can simulate it, but it does not mean that they belong to this trend.
If you want to maintain originality, you should keep the following in mind:
- Avoid wearing risky necklines.
- Being feminine is perfect, but you shouldn’t overdo it.
- Dressing entirely in dark tones is not preppy. Use light garments and pastels. Combine with a striking color.
Get inspired by celebrities
This style is among the favorites of many celebrities and even characters from the big and small screen . The New York actress and model Olivia Palermo is known as the queen of preppy , so it doesn’t hurt that you look for inspiration among her latest looks From her.
Taylor Swift is also another of the representatives of the genre. And how can we forget the iconic Blair Waldorf from Gossip Girl (in the cover photo) and Charlotte York from Sex and the City .